Today, many people understand the importance of core skills for career success in addition to technical skills. In the workplace, you will deal with people, problems and face many challenges, so what core skills should you cultivate early in your career?
- Communication Skill. People who are good at communicating can adjust their own style according to the audience, understand and effectively execute instructions, and explain complex problems to colleagues and clients. Communication is also an important aspect of leadership because leaders must be able to clearly and comprehensively deliver messages to the organisation.
- Problem Solving Skill. Solving problems requires not only analytical and creative skills, but it also requires a specific way of thinking. Those who can deal with problems with a calm mind tend to solve problems more effectively than those who cannot. Problem solving can often also rely on strong teamwork. Problems cannot always be solved individually. Knowing who can help you reach a solution and how they can do it would be a great advantage.
- Team Work. Employees are not only required to do their job well. To have long-term development, you need to have a sense of cooperation and collaboration. Working towards a common goal in a team requires intuition and a keen sense of interpersonal relationships, knowing when to be a leader and when to be an audience. Good team members have a keen insight and can accept the needs and responsibilities of others.
- Ability to Work Under Pressure and Time Management. Many jobs have strict deadlines and sometimes the risks of missing such deadlines are high. Employers will reward those who show decisive attitude, able to think clearly, and able to separate and put aside stress. Time management is closely related to the ability to work under pressure and the ability to work within tight deadlines. Employees who are excellent at time management can effectively prioritize tasks and plans, which enables them to confidently accept new tasks and deadlines.
- Leadership Skill. Leadership is a core skill which you can demonstrate even if you don’t directly manage others. Leadership is not power, position, status, or strategy. Leadership is actually influence. It is a person’s ability to change and influence the thought and behavior of others. Leadership can be thought of as a collection of other core skills, such as positive attitudes, the ability to communicate effectively, and the ability to self-motivate and motivate others. For leaders to have willing followers, they must use visionary thinking, outstanding character, excellent personality, and extraordinary integrity to lead and motive people.